Filing a Claim with Darlington Mutual Insurance

When you think you have had a claim – please call  your Agent asap.  If you cannot get a hold of your agent, please contact Darlington Mutual at 1-855-776-2319 or locally at 608-776-2319.

We will take the information regarding your claim.  Some questions we will ask:

  1. When did the damage occur?
  2. What, do you believe, caused the damage?  (Example:  lightning from storm on 07/23/11)
  3. What location did the damage appear?  (If you have a large farm, what address is the damage at?)
  4. Items needing immediate attention (Example:  If you have water coming in the house from a hole in the roof or downed tree sitting on the house, etc.)
  5. Phone numbers where we can reach you?  Cell numbers, work phone numbers, etc.

The agent (or DMIC staff) will fill out the “Notification of Loss” paperwork and the claim will be assigned an internal claim number.

Your  Responsibility:  Secure the insured premises immediately to prevent further damage.

DMIC General Manager reviews the claim and assigns a claims adjustor to the loss.  The claims adjustor then contacts the insured to discuss the claim and arrange (if necessary) for a visit to take photos of the damage.

The claims adjustor then prepares a claim report and submits it to DMIC for their approval.

If payment is to be made, the appropriate signatures will be obtained for the paperwork and DMIC will prepare the check.  If the claim is denied, a letter stating the reason is mailed to the insured, the agent and DMIC.

Important:  If there is a lienholder on your policy for the damaged property, their name will also appear on the loss check if over $500.

Example: lightning stricks the house and put a hole in the roof.

Damage $7,000
Deductible of $500
Resulting in a loss check of $6,500
Mortgagee First National Bank

Check will be made out jointly to the Insured and First National Bank.  Then in order to cash the check, both the Insured and First National Bank will have to endorse the check.  The bank may require proof that the damage has been repaired.

Sometimes a portion of the loss will be paid out and the remainder paid upon completion of the repairs. Once all payments or a denial letter sent to the insured, the claim will be closed out.

Comments are closed.